Invitation to use the Electronic Prescription Service
Laurel House Surgery would like to introduce to you an Electronic Prescription Service (EPS). This service will mean that your GP will be able to send your prescription electronically to the Pharmacy of your choice to get your medication from - without the need for paper in most cases. The Electronic Service is reliable, secure and confidential.
One of the main benefits of the Electronic Prescription Service is the ability to use a system called electronic repeat dispensing. This is for patients who are on regular repeat medications. The change with this system is that, once approved by the GP, pharmacists will be able to dispense patients medications at monthly or two-monthly intervals, until the next medical review is required and this without the need for the patient or pharmacy to order prescriptions from the doctor's surgery.
The pharmacist will know when the last authorised prescription has been issued to the patient and will inform the patient that a review is due.
If you would like to use the Electronic Prescription Service
- You will need to 'nominate' a pharmacy to receive your prescriptions electronically. You can ask a member of staff in the pharmacy to arrange this, or a member of staff in surgery.
- You can then continue to order your prescriptions in the usual way, but instead of paper prescriptions being collected by your or your pharmacy, the prescription will be sent to them electronically.
- Electronic repeat dispensing will not usually be set up straight away. If appropriate, your GP will set up when your medicines are next reviewed. e.g. after your annual check.
- You should try to ensure that on most occasions you collect your prescription from your nominated pharmacy. However, if you don't wish to use your nominated pharmacy for a particular prescription just make sure you let the surgery know when you request the prescription. For example if you wish to collect a prescription from the surgery reception, or a different pharmacy.
- Nomination is very flexible and can be cancelled at any time by asking a member of staff at the pharmacy or surgery.
If you would like information about the service, please ask the staff in a pharmacy offering EPS or contact the surgery.